Preparing for Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery is considered a major surgery, even if it is performed laparoscopically and no big incisions are made on the patient’s abdomen, it should be taken seriously simply because it is a big procedure. That being said the preparation for gastric sleeve surgery may vary from one bariatric group to another but in most of the cases it is mandatory for the patient to undergo some preparation steps before surgery.
The importance of this preoperative preparation has two main goals:
Putting yourself in the best possible conditions for the day of your surgery
- Preparing you physically and mentally for the post operative surgery period
The idea on both points is to make things easy for your surgeon during surgery, during immediate and mediate recovery period as to make the transition for you as smooth as possible. This will reduce the chances of developing complications and therefore will enhance your positive experience through the whole process!
The following includes typical events that may occur prior to gastric sleeve surgery; however, since each patient is unique, what will actually occur may be slightly different:
- Depending on your BMI, Dr. Rosales will let you know if a pre-operative diet is necessary in order to reduce the size of your liver. Every obese person develops a condition known as “fatty liver.” A diet prior to surgery may reduce the risks of complications during surgery leading to a faster and smoother recovery.
- Blood work, chest x-ray and EKG will also be performed before surgery.
- Preoperative consultation from specialists, such as cardiologist, pulmonologist, endocrinologist, etc may be needed depending on your own specific medical condition; we will let you know if you will need this evaluation before your surgery.
- Some recommendations on the type of foods and your eating habits will be made before surgery, which are simple and easy to follow.
- Some low or moderate intensity exercise is recommended before surgery
- A set of paperwork and information will be sent to in order to inform you on every single detail of the process.
Finally, we actually encourage you to write down each and every question you have and Dr. Rosales will personally answer all of them for you, for him there is no “dumb” question but the one that is never asked.
Continue reading - Gastric Sleeve Results and Benefits.
We can perform your Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Monterrey, Piedras Negras or Laredo, depending on your preference and budget.
Call TodayToll Free
About Dr. Rosales
Dr. Gabriel Rosales, a leading bariatric surgeon in Mexico and head of Obesity Free, is focused on the surgical treatment of patients who have struggled with excess weight for years. For Dr. Rosales, there is no better reward than having a satisfied patient who has achieved his/her weight loss goals. His key to success is a well-developed surgical technique and quality medical care from beginning to end.